Friday, November 2, 2007

Here Comes the Sun

It's Friday, and I've got a nice weekend to recover without any hospital visits. No getting stuck with needles, hanging out with nice, but germy, people in a waiting room for hours, no answering the same questions to 3 different doctors and nurses, and no need to carry a cancer patient survival kit* everywhere I go.

More importantly, I am down to my last week of radiation treatments and this coming week, I'll get the last of my first cycle of chemo! One more day of chemo and 5 more days on that radiation table. At this time next week, I'll be done.

Since I wrote last, things got pretty rough for me. Honestly, I was barely living, fighting like hell to hang in there and endure until my body could get better. It was no fun. Monday after my radiation session around noon, the docs took me to the ER at Penn. Kristina, my mom, and I were there until about 7.15pm. They took x-rays, ran various blood and phelgm tests, and took a CT scan of my head. They found that I had a sinus infection on top of everything else that was complicating my mucositis, and gave me antibiotics to help fight it. After a few days of antibiotics, I feel a hell of a lot better.

Not only that, I can breathe through one of my nostrils again. After breathing only through my painfull raw, shredded mouth for weeks, it was an amazing feeling. I'm not doing it justice, but it felt like such an uplifting victory to be able to breathe with my mouth shut once in a while. It sounds really pathetic here.

The good news is that I am feeling very good. My spirits are soaring and I am excited to complete the first phase of my treatment plan next week. It's been a tough seven weeks of gradually increasing pain and discomfort. The future holds the opposite, every new day will be another day of recovery and regaining parts of myself that I've had to do without. I'm just thrilled to get to be me, so I can show my mom, Kristina, Shelly, my dad, and everyone who has helped how much they mean to me.

The constant cards and comments here have been amazing.

10 comments:

WILLIAM said...

Reading this brought a smile to my face.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dave, well done. I knew that this last week was going to be tough for you. It's 'pants' as they say here.
Bless your heart. Thinking good thoughts for you all for this next week too.

Nancy Barber said...

What a great post this is.
I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better.
The treatments are almost behind you and the healing will start.
It won't be long before you'll be flying up and down the roads in your cobra.
Hang in there and keep that fighting spirit going full blast.
You are going to be the winner!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy

Gale said...

I have been checking in on you and was wondering how the fight is going. Hooray, any small change is good. You are as always in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

David it so great to see a note from you. We all knew you were fighting the fight that could be only done by you. And by the sounds of it you came out on top. All the best wishes and prayers from the Sunshine State.

Sandy and Fred

Anonymous said...

Here's to BETTER EVERY DAY.

Anonymous said...

When I saw no new postings from you last week, Dave, I was so worried. But I am joyful today at your latest news. You are amazing, and inspirational. I am humbled by your courageous fight. May every day be better than the one before.

iheartchocolate said...

I am so glad you are okay. It has been a while since you posted.

I am excited for you, to be ending this phase.

You are in my prayers.

El Grande said...

Glad to hear you are doing better, than earlier in the week. One more week of radiation sounds like a good thing to look forward to as well. Keep fighting, we are all pulling for you.

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
The last week of radiation!!!!!!!!What a great week this will be. The worst part of the treatment is going to be behind you after this week. The healing will begin!!!!!
Hang in there.
Love & Hugs.....Nancy