Saturday, September 22, 2007

Calm Before the Storm

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends,
And say my glory was I had such friends."

- William Yeats

In the past couple days, I've been gearing up for my treatments. It's tough knowing some of the effects, both temporary and permanent, will have on my body. For instance, the delightful experience of eating will never be quite the same for me again. The radiation treatments will damage my salivary glands and leave me with permanent dry mouth, and my taste buds may be damaged for years. There are things I won't be able to eat for many months, possibly years or ever. All in all, a small price to pay to be able to live! I'll make that trade any day of the week, but all the same it's tough to feel like I'm in the last few days of being able to enjoy my meals, desserts, and drinks as I always have.

So, this last week I've been enjoying some delicious meals and treats. Whether it's a delicious filet at Domani Star in Doylestown, sushi at Osaka, a simple cheesesteak or Starbucks coffee, I've been treating myself. I enjoyed a few delicious glasses of Brunello, one of my favorite wines from Tuscany. I've probably put on an extra 10 pounds going into my treatments.

Even better than the food though is the people I've shared the meals with. Mike, Shelly, Kristina, Pierce, Seamus and Kevin all took time out of there schedules the last week or so to hang out, watch a good movie, go shooting, grub down, and share some good cheer. I love my friends, and you guys have no idea how powerful your company is to me right now.

People are always telling me how great my attitude is, and all I can say is look around me. My mom, my friends, my family and everyone around me lift me up time and time again. Come on. Have you met my mom? How could I possibly be anything but upbeat?

Reading the comments my aunts and uncles (and my buddy Bill Meaks) have shared here spur me on, too. It's nice to hear from everyone, and reminds me how many people are pulling for me.

So Saturday, I'm heading up to New York to see Sir Ian McKellen play King Lear. I'm such a huge fan of Shakespeare and that play in particular. I hear that McKellen is incredible. While we're up there, Kristina and I are going to grab a really good dinner in New York, too.

I'm very at peace with the treatments and what is coming. Truth be told, I'm eager to get started so that we can pull all this behind me. Thanks to Kristina, Shelly, and everyone else, I'm really making the most of these last days before the treatment.

8 comments:

Linda Laird said...

Enjoy the play and remember no talking. Wouldn't want you to be shushed. DAD

Anonymous said...

David,

Stephanie and I are thinking of and praying for you. We were happy to read that you'll experience Shakespeare with Sir Ian. You are in our prayers, and we will be thinking of you when we go the Action Arts shows this year. We are looking forward to seeing you when all this is behind you.

Len and Stephanie Zangwill

El Grande said...

I hope that you and Kristina had a good time in NYC. Glad to hear you are enjoying the time and the good food. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

WILLIAM said...

Good luck with the treatments. Call if you need anything

Anonymous said...

David..

I hope you enjoyed your time in NY.. My favorite place!! I think about you and pray for you all the time.. :)

You are my hero. Your courage through all this truly amazes me. I havent seen you in years, But we are in this fight together.. Good luck tomorrow and know you will be in my thoughts and prayers..

love..
your cousin nikki <3

Yari said...

Dave,

I am praying for you and know that you will come out of this victorious!

Anonymous said...

David, You amaze me, the courage you show, and your attitude is overwhelming. With Love and many prayers, Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

Oh, Shakespeare! What a wonderful opportunity! Have you read the book "Hamlet's Dresser" by Bob Smith? It's all about Shakespeare and survival. It might be a good book to read if you have some time on your hands! I have TONS of book recommendations, so if you're interested in some really good reading, you can stop by my blog and check out my list. (It's nice to meet another Shakespeare lover!)

I just started reading, coming over here from your friend's blog, and I want to tell you you're in my thoughts. This is great writing and I'll follow along on your journey through this.

My father was sick for a long time and the only reason he was able to feel good those years was because of his friends and family. And from what I've read, it sounds like you've got a mountain of support behind you.