Tuesday, September 25, 2007

And so it begins . . .

John Milton was a 17th Century British writer and a Cambridge man. He was a very interesting guy who was both a Puritan Republican civil servant and pamphleteer, but railed against censorship and state religion. He's best known for his book Paradise Lost.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."

- John Milton, Paradise Lost

Today I went in for my first chemo and radiation treatments. I move forward into battle knowing full well the risks and hardships that are coming. Honestly, they mean nothing compared to the fair chance that I will be able to shake this disease.

Focusing on the nasty temporary and permanent side effects coming my way the next few months does nothing for me. For one thing, everyone reacts differently to the treatments. I'm hoping with my age and fitness, as well as good diet and watchful chemo and radiation docs that I'll have an easier time than most with the treatments. And what if I don't? It still does me no good to dread or bemoan what's going on? No, the only sensible and helpful way to approach this is to be positive, look for and enjoy successes during treatment, and to stay faithful that good things (including a total cure) could come to me.

God forbid, I lose this fight. If I do, why go out depressed and as someone who gave up on life? With all due respect, fuck that. I hope and expect to live, but even if I don't . . . I want to go out as someone who kept the faith, enjoyed the people and experiences he had left, and choose not to dwell on suffering.

Enough philosophy, here are some practical details.

Chemo Therapy

My chemo was at 7.30am, so Shelly, Mikey, and my folks left at 6am to be there. We started our day tired, and we ended it that way. The chemo experience was totally positive. I cannot think of a reasonable way it could have been better. Unreasonable ways? Sure, instant an immediate cure for example. Seriously though, the chemo was great.

I arrived and was quickly taken back to have blood drawn for lab tests. I thought I'd be getting this all done from one IV, but apparently I was going to get stuck twice today: once for blood, once for chemo. In all honesty, I hate needles and would have made a lousy heroin addict. It didn't matter, the lab assistant stuck that IV in my hand to take blood and I did not feel a thing. She was funny and kind and efficient. Perfect experience.

Next, my whole entourage and I rolled into my chemo room. Lucky #7 was our room. The nurses loved seeing such a big crowd come along, especially when some wore Team Dave t-shirts Kristina had made and the "Dave Rocks!!!" banner was hung at the window. Our veteran nurse Deborah got a little misty when she saw that. She knew she was caring for someone who was very loved.

So, Debbie needed to sink my IV needle into my forearm. Again, it was almost imperceptible. Two for two. I'm very lucky to have good and very visible veins. Maybe I should rethink that heroin addict thing . . . nah, I'd have to change my taste in music and everything. Too much bother.

My chemo treatment was a lot briefer than I thought. I'd heard 5 - 9 hour numbers from survivors and my doctors. My session was only 3.5 hours. Frankly, it was a bit of a let down too. No pain, no unpleasant reactions. The only side effects I felt was the need to urinate 6-7 times in that short time, and a passing ache in my kidneys. I imagined they were being wrung like a sponge to get me to urinate and flush out my system.

Our team spent the 3.5 hours in the room watching the silly comedy Saving Silverman on DVD, meeting with our hospital-appointed nutritionist and social worker. Both were helpful, but the nutritionist had more information that I needed.

I'm feeling sorta rundown, but no nausea yet. They say it usually hits around day 3 or 4 and lasts 3-4 days. I'm already taking 2 different meds to control the nausea, and I have 3 other prescriptions to do the same.

Radiation (by IMRT)

The radiation treatment was great, too. Marshall and Dr. Bar Ad met Shelly and my parents for the first time which was nice. He's such a fantastic, positive and committed guy. Having him as our lead Radiation Oncology nurse and technician is a blessing. I've already told you about Dr. Bar Ad, who I absolutely love.

They strapped me into the mask and on to the table, and I felt a bit like an Egyptian pharoah there on the table. The mask was tight, but I closed my eyes and was instantly comfortable. They took some simulation photos real quick, did some alignment to ensure that the radiation beams were correct aimed and then they beamed the rays to my affected nasopharynx, my right side neck lymph nodes, and then to my left side neck lymph nodes (as a precaution). I felt nothing at all.

I was in a relaxed, nearly sleeping state the whole time. Late '90s/'00s Elton John music was playing. Not normally my kind of thing, but it actually helped me relax. I'll have to burn my own disks for future treatments. They are only 20-25 minutes long.

So, I would say my day went about as perfectly as I could hope. A great way to start the fight.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're ecstatic that your first treatment went so well, but after reading your blog, not surprised. Your optimism amazes us. As a side, who would have thought that something so trying would make for interesting reading. Kinda makes it hard for us to be down about anything.

Love sent your way.
Aunt Betty and Uncle Wayne

WILLIAM said...

If you did Heroin would you listen to Elton John?


I am glad that the first treatment went well.

Kristina said...

What Dave forgot to mention is the renewed importance of the alligator. As those of you with tshirts know, the a fighting gator appears on the front of the shirt. that's because the alligator is Dave's totem animal, and it just so happens that it is a symbol of survival.

When Dave gets his radiation treatment, they put a mesh mask over his face and neck. The mesh mask leaves marks on his face (you know the kind--like if you sleep on a wrinkled pillow or on a patterned sofa) that resemble scales. So he comes out of radiation with alligator face. :) which just reminds me when i see it that he's going to survive this.

kristina

Kadey said...

Dave, I'm so happy that you are handling all this so well. I am very proud to call you my cousin. The strength and courage you show is utterly amazing. And hey, the needles aren't that bad, are they?

P.S. Im glad you were never a heroin addict, think of the life you would have wasted!!

Your cousin, Kelley

El Grande said...

Glad to hear things went so smooth. I have a theory on the Elton John thing. They probably played it to cause your body to rebel and fight alongside the radiation.

wdibert said...

I am happy for you that your are coping well this journey you are on.

I came across a poem today, guess there was a reason I heard it. I will share it with you.


Beyond the window

I see my face reflecting in the window as the rain falls

How many times have I seen that face stairing in the glass

How many times have I wished that face was not my own.

The rain fades softly away, a shaft of sun pierces the brooding clouds like a sword.

and a thought pierces me as well

There is one who knows me deeper than the others

He knows how I cry inside while I put on a smile for the others

He knows how I remember mocking words and deeds.

He knows how I dream of countries and castles far away........

He calls me by name and smiles at me.

He reaches out his hand for mine.

He knows me

Because he made me and now shows me life beyond the window


Your spirit will carry you.
Uncle Wayne

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Even though I haven't seen you in a while, we have known each other for many years. I am quite impressed with your positive attitude. Keep it up! I think of you often and expect the best for you.

Lisa(Brian's sis)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dave. Came over from Bill's. I read everything, caught up. I'd totally bet on you to kick cancer's ass. Keep the faith and the fight, and the funny. God bless you and yours.

iheartchocolate said...

Poop and boogies referral here. I am here to support you and your family in this fight! It never hurts to add another prayer warrior to your side. I want you to know, as I follow you through your treatments I will be fervently praying for your complete recovery and ultimately God's will in this situation. You have an amazing outlook and are an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...

Another poop and boogies referral. I should like to join 'team Dave' from here in England. I am a nurse and it is always helpful to see things from the other side of the needle.
Love the Bernini sculpture on the blog site. (I have recently returned from Italy and saw it there. It is beautiful!)
First Dave, I am sorry this has happened to you. But I hope you stay strong and that love and laughter will see you through it.
I am going to keep you in my thoughts each day. Cheers from Checkendon. X

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
My name is Cathi and I'm a friend of your Mom's. We have all heard so many wonderful things about you! I just wanted you to know you have a special place in my heart and I am praying for you everyday. I love reading your stories and hearing about your wonderful family/friends that obviously care about you so much.
GO TEAM DAVE!!!!!
Cathi

The Egel Nest said...

Hi -

I have read everything up to this point...took some time to get caught up...

William from poop and boogies alerted me to your blog and I am glad he did...I will be reading and praying that all things work out.

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Anonymous said...

Dave:

I came here to read your blog after hearing about you from my son, Bradley, who heard about you from poop and boogies.

Your attitude is fantastic, and I know that a positive attitude helps a great deal in this type of situation.

I will keep you in my prayers, and hope that your treatments eradicate your cancer in no time flat.

God bless you, and your family.

Linda

Anonymous said...

One of the songs that always gets me pumped up before I go running, the kind of song that makes me feel I can keep on running through the pain in my legs and my chest is, embarrassingly enough, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor. It's the "Rocky" theme song. It's pretty awesome and makes me feel like I can do anything. (I don't know if it's better than Elton John during radiation, but you might wanna give it a go!)

PS--I love your family for supporting you so much. Especially with those t-shirts? And the sign? Goodness.

Anonymous said...

One of the songs that always gets me pumped up before I go running, the kind of song that makes me feel I can keep on running through the pain in my legs and my chest is, embarrassingly enough, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor. It's the "Rocky" theme song. It's pretty awesome and makes me feel like I can do anything. (I don't know if it's better than Elton John during radiation, but you might wanna give it a go!)

PS--I love your family for supporting you so much. Especially with those t-shirts? And the sign? Goodness.