Friday, September 28, 2007

Week One Done

OK, this quote I really love, but the fact that it's from a Bronte sister seems very, very girlie otherwise I would have used it earlier. The sentiment is there, but pretend somebody cool and manly said it, like Lee Marvin, George Washington, or Steve McQueen.

"No coward soul is mine,
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere.
I see Heaven's glories shine,
And faith shines equal, arming me from fear."

- Emily Bronte, No Coward Soul is Mine

Without getting into too much detail, I have to say that my personal faith in God has been a real comfort to me in this struggle. Although I haven't been deeply religious per se, I've always maintained a quiet belief in and relationship with God that has given me strength and peace. It's difficult to look at all of the favorable circumstances surrounding my cancer and see only chance at work. No, I know that Someone is looking out for me with great love, and I am surrounded by people acting as His agents who confirm it constantly.

With my first week of treatments done, I feel that we're actively fighting my cancer now and already seeing measurable results.

Until now my part in the fight has been keeping a positive mental outlook and doing the best to help my support team and doctors to get me well. Now things are getting more demanding. Sure, my number one job is still to be a chemo drug/radiation sponge, sucking up all the treatments into my body. In addition, I've got a surprisingly tough challenge of eating 2700 calories and drinking 2 liters of water every day.

The calories have been harder because my appetite hasn't been there for me, and I'm trying to avoid sugar (due to dental issues the radiation can bring on). Fortunately, I can still taste food and my throat's not in bad shape, so I can get food down easily . . . it's just like always eating when you're full. I've been shooting for high calorie foods like stromboli, KFC, and other usually unhealthy stuff that's perfect for me now. I do eat fresh grapes, peaches, etc. and they taste so good right now. Apparently I'm doing ok, because at my weigh in today, they found I actually gained weight. My doctor was happy.

Drinking 2 Liters of water a day is a piece of cake for me. I live with bottles of Poland Spring anyway, and generally drink about 3 Liters. So, it's not too tough to drink the water . . . except that it fills my belly and makes it harder to eat. In the grand scheme of things, not a bad challenge to have to overcome.

I'm getting a little bid of red skin on my neck from the radiation. My family is of Southern/Hillbilly stock, so maybe I'm genetically predisposed to this sort of reaction. Seriously though, the hospital has given me cream to help with the radiation burns, and they're not painful at all yet.

What's really remarkable is that I have had no nausea at all now. Generally it would appear by now, so I think I'm very blessed. I have not even needed to take one of my anti-nausea medicines (Zofran). Dr. Sherman's plan to have me take two IV fluid treatments the past couple days has probably helped there, too.

All in all, my energy level and appetite are down, my throat's a little sensitive, and I've got a little ringing in my left ear which probably means Dr. Sherman will reduce my Cisplatin dosage next time. All in all I'd say I'm holding up better than I expected.

Dr. Bar Ad gave me the best news today when she saw me after radiation. She did an exam and she said that she does not need a CT scan of my neck to know that the lymph nodes are already shrinking. She said the progress is visibly and palpably obvious to her.

I really appreciate all the love and support Kristina, my family, Shelly, and my friends have lent this week. It's been nice to hear from cousins and Aunts and Uncles, from the Toleno camp, and Bill's fan club at Poop and Boogies. Your comments always give me a lift!




14 comments:

WILLIAM said...

I called to today to see how you are doing...I am happy to see this post.

HE is looking out for you.

Anonymous said...

David hope you get better soon. I want you to know ,I'm keeping you in my prayers. With love Grama Keaton

Anonymous said...

Um, you get to eat KFC and stromboli? And your doctors are MAKING you eat it? I'd like join you, quite literally, in this part of the fight. (Maybe I already have. For, like, years.)

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're on your way! I am of Hillbillian ancestry, too. And like you, I depend upon God for strength and peace daily. No, more like moment by moment.

And I thought you'd like to know, your source for that quote is incorrect. That was actually spoken by Jack Palance, just before he chugged a pint of Southern Comfort and did 97 push-ups. (Or maybe it was just after . . . )

iheartchocolate said...

I am glad your first week is behind you. SO glad you don't have to deal with any nausea, that is awesome! I hope you have a restful weekend!

You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and has made the Lord his hope and confidence.
- Jeremiah 17:7

I am so happy to see and hear how well you are doing!! I love seeing how much support you have on this site. It overwhelmes me..
You're always in my prayers..

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
I just started reading this today... You are in my thoughts, and prayers for sure, and I will come here often to check on you.
Keep that great, positive attitude.

Anonymous said...

David,

Great to see a positive first week of treatment. Let's all hope they continue to be effective. I know the heart and will that is a part of your make up can only work to youradvantage. Stay srong my buddy....Ally and I have you in our thoughts and prayers daily.

BEEDS

Gale said...

You are my personal inspiration.

Anonymous said...

David - so glad to see that there are positive things to report. We are all thinking of you and look forward to your return to work when the time is right.

On the subject of food, I can help you find things to eat that will add a couple of pounds a week. I have a lot of experience in that.

Anonymous said...

Dave. It's great to hear that things are going well in your fight. Your co-workers here at Pru think about you all the time and pray for your quick recovery (we need you back big time). Not sure if you're a Phillie's fan but if you are enjoy the playoffs. Those of here in NJ are rooting for a Turnpike Series. Rock On!!!

Anonymous said...

Damn DAVE, I like your attitude. Positive thinking and a fighter. Reminds me of a quote by a fameous french swordsman. SEND ME GIANTS ! Can picture you standing there with a sword, cape and plumes beating off anything the muscaters send at you. By all means, GOOD LUCK ! fred/sandy

Anonymous said...

Dave heard about your blog today in a TW meeting and just wanted to say hello. We miss not having you around to lead us....I admire what you are doing writing and sharing your feelings. 2 special people in my life are in various stages of the cancer battle. Keep up with the strong and positive attitude!!
Take care. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

David, if prayers, love and good wishes are all it takes, you will be better in no time.
We miss you here at Pru. You are an inspiration to us all.
Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with us on your Blog. Can't decide which visual I like better:
(1) you sitting all alone in the new car in the garage saying "vroom vroom", or
(2) you driving the new car, racing down the street with your hair flying behind you.
Either way, can't wait to see some pictures.
Be well.