Friday, October 19, 2007

Week 4 Wrapup

"Do something that scares you everyday."

OK, this used to be my motto to live by, but I think I've taken things a little to far with this whole cancer fight thing.

I'm hanging in with the fight, but things are definitely harder. It's rough not eating anymore, but I'm thrilled to be getting all the calories and hydration I need through my tube . . . rather than fighting and losing trying to eat by mouth. Still, I have to be sure to take some shake by mouth, or I'll lose my ability to swallow. It's tougher than you think, because right now my throat is sore, it always feels like I've got acid reflux going on, and everything I eat tastes . . . well, let's be kind and just say awful. Nevertheless, I have to keep the swallow mechanism operational, so that a couple months from now I can get back to Nick's Roast Beef sandwiches, Chick Fil A, sushi, and all those goodies I miss so much.

I've finished my #19 (of 35) radiation treatment, and have 2 of my 3 primary chemo sessions complete. There is definite progress on my lymph nodes shrinking and all, but honestly I'm beyoond being excited now. Now my job is just to be tough and to endure the side effects of the radiation and chemo. It's not easy not being able to really talk, eat, and even have the energy to live my normal life. Then again, I knew this part would be tough . . . tough and temporary. In another month, these treatments will wrap up. I'll begin recovering which will take a while, but I know that better days lie ahead.

There's so much I can't wait to do, and I feel such a massive debt to my caretakers. My mom, Kristina, Shelly, my Dad, my brother, they've all been unbelievable to me. I have no idea where they find the courage and strength not only to help me with tasks, but to smile and encourage while they do.

I'm very grateful to have them.

6 comments:

unclebilly said...

Dave,

You are 1/2 way through now, don't get discouarged. Remember that the Lord won't give you anything more than you can handle. I have your name on a card hanging on the santuary wall at church. I'm believing for a total and complete healing in your body. I hope that brings you some kind of comfort knowing that hundreds of people are praying for you. Let me know if you need ANYTHING at all!

Love,

Uncle Billy

Anonymous said...

David,

Try to keep your spirits up, you are surrounded by family and friends who love you. Also you have the best private nurse that you could ever get, nobody will look after you better then her.

Love you Dad

Anonymous said...

Lovely to have a post from you.
I've been telling my husband about you. (He is quite the wimp regarding hospital stuff.) He asked me to check to see how you were doing. I nearly fell over!
My own motto is to find something to be thankful for each day. I stole it from Pollyanna!
Cheers to you and to being over half way through.

iheartchocolate said...

You are almost there.

He is with you now and will be with you then.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Half way there!!!!!!!
Soon you'll go across that finish line as a winner!!!!!
You are really an inspiration to everyone. Going through what you're going through and being able to keep that positive attitude you have will get you back on your feet and enjoying all the things you love to do.
There are so many people praying for you and thinking about you all the time.
You are one VERY special person.
Just hang in there!!!
Love & Hugs........Nancy

WILLIAM said...

I am grateful that you have them as well.