Thursday, October 4, 2007

Hmmph

OK, so today I went in for my #8 radiation treatment and then to meet with my chemo doc for our regular blood work and follow up. I had a bit of bad news on both fronts.

#1: I lost 10 pounds. Mind you I had put on a couple extra pounds right before treatment, but weight loss is not good when y0u're fighting cancer. You need calories and nutrients to beat down the cancer. My doc is not panicking, but he did tell me to put in more effort and we'll see where we are next week.

#2: My doc confirmed that my nasopharynx cancer is EBV-related through my blooodwork. My DNA shows that I have been carrying an EBV-mutated gene that has caused my cancer, probably for a few years now. What does this mean? Unfortunately, compared to EBV-negative nasopharynx cancer, I am about 40% more likely to see my cancer spread distantly and less likely to survive. This is no reason for us to give up the fight. Not at all. The only real setback here is that it would have been nice to have been one of those non EBV guys, because I'd have an easier time of things. Instead, I know where we stand and because the large number of NPC cancers are EBV-related, I'm pretty much right where I was before . . . just one less miracle to hope for. I guess I'll have to go the old-fashioned route and beat it with faith, grim-determination and . . . I know, nutrition. Who wants to win the easy way anyway?!

“Living things have been doing just that for a long, long time. Through every kind of disaster and setback and catastrophe. We are survivors.”


- Robert Fulghum

10 comments:

Dave Cole said...

Someone called me and praised my ability to take things in stride. Uh, not exactly. I flipped out on my poor dad this afternoon over nothing at all and only through that stupid meltdown, have I found the peace to post my news in such good spirits. My poor dad. I've apologized, but still feel bad for snapping at someone who is taking such good care of me. That is what really sucks about cancer. I'm still learning to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

Are you able to have creamy things without getting excess mucous? (aren't nurse's horrible? I can talk about bowel movement and vomit without even flinching!)
High calorie ice cream is an answer to getting maximum calories in. Freeze in small bits and have in small servings. Do not put a whole load of it in front of yourself. It can put you off it right away. Suggest a flavour (send one of your many friends who are looking for a job they can do for you) out for the ice cream or make fresh ice cream. Lemon seems to be a favourite flavour as your tastebud will probably not be working right. But get what ever flavour sounds good. Even having ice lollies will get flds. in you without having to gulp loads of water and make you feel full and bloated.

Getting angry is OK. You said yourself you are not a martyr. If you are on high doses of steroids this can make you ...uhh, very bitchy. Your parents love you, they will get over it and will understand where the anger is coming from. The EBV news is a bummer.
Thinking about you all the way over here and wish I could boss you around in person! Nurse Ratchet alias Melinda

Gina Coggio said...

My thoughts go to you also, all the way from Brazil.

Anonymous said...

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

Anonymous said...

People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Your light is very bright. Keep shining. :-)

Linda Laird said...

You are so beautiful to me. The more we know about your illness the more ways we can find to beat it. If it should dare to return to you after we slaughter it we will wage another attack and be done with it. Your are strong,young,brave,and beautiful inside and out and you are surrounded with love from many people. Remember you are still the same person you were before finding out about the EBV. Dad loves you no matter what you say or do. We will get through this together and God will bless me richly with your good health. Mama

Linda Laird said...

I vote for Melinda to be on TEAM DAVE

Anonymous said...

Fred and Sandy

Dave you really don't remember us, we lived beside your Mom and Dad, You and I went to Pa airport to pick up our son Lou, You took time out of your life to talk and help him. He never forgot that as we have never forgot you. You don't know how many prayers and best wishes are out there. You have to fight and stay strong..

El Grande said...

Remember that no matter the pain and suffering you are feeling in your body, the cancer is feeling it even worse. These treatments are designed to beat down this thing that has infected you. The other crap is collateral damage.

Two quotes for you:
"A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets."
-Homer J. Simpson

“Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.”
-Bill Cosby

iheartchocolate said...

Dave,

You have the mentality and spirit of a SURVIVOR...Your body will follow.

Keep the faith brother.