Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sweet Distraction

“It's a massive motor in a tiny, lightweight car.”
- Caroll Shelby, creator of the Shelby Cobra, Daytona Coupe, and Ford GT40

My appetite's dropped off a bit, and is somewhere between my ravenous weekend appetite and the pathetic state I was in before. I'm pretty sure that I'm doing the 2700 calories that I need. My energy's been ok, and I've still battled nausea from time to time. Unfortunately, the inside of my throat is beginning to get increasingly sore.

Fortunately, I have plenty of incredible things keeping my mind off my present condition. Besides unbelievable companionship with Kristina, Shelly, my family and friends, I have a couple of great passions that I'm turning my attention to right now.

First and foremost is my Shelby Daytona Coupe replica car build. Last November, I bought a frame, body, and other kit parts from a company called Factory Five Racing. In addition, I bought a Ford Racing crate engine, a 392 cubic inch monster, along with a TKO 600 transmission, and loads of other performance parts from Ford Racing. Since then, my father-in-law Bill and I have been building what promises to be the most beautiful, high peformance street car ever made. Right now, we are 99.9% done, and just waiting for the body to come back from the paint shop so we can reassemble the car. Driving this car, even just starting it up in my garage will be as important to curing my cancer as radiation or chemotherapy. I'm telling you.
It has been a long 11months getting this car built, and my mechanic father-in-law has done the lion's share of the work.

Right now, I spend time in the waiting room thinking about the finishing touches I'm going to put on the car, imagining what it will look like with its sleek black paint. Working with my father-in-law on the car was a great experience. I've sunk a ridiculous amount of money into this car, with thousands left to spend, and at this point, I just want to have the car done and road ready. I can feel it. We're so close . . . just in time for winter, which aint prime sportscar time. No matter. I will spend a lot of time in my garage just staring at the car, or just sitting inside. OK, I'll probaby make the occassional vroom=vroom noise when nobody's around.

In any case, I wanted other patients who might read this blog later to know that while you're in treatment, life goes on. By embracing the things you love, chemo and radiation are kept in proper perspective.

30 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

Healing beams to you...
As a cancer survivor myself, it sure sounds like you are doing all the best things you can do for yourself, and your wonderful support "team" of family and friends will make a huge difference for both your long term survival and the quality of your daily life.
I'll be reading along and please feel free to ask any general cancer related questions you may have.
I was diagnosed in May of 2003, so I have 4.5 years of experience behind me.

Dave Cole said...

Beadbabe, did you have stage IV cancner? Where was your cancner located?

Anonymous said...

From Nancy
Hi Dave,
Great way to pass some time.
Even if you don't have a heater in the cobra, put a coat and hat on and hit the roads. You'll love it!
Expect to see you at all the car shows next year winning first prize!!
Love, Nancy

Yari said...

Vroom, Vroom! I can't wait to see your shiny car when I come out to visit in December.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure what kind of car you were talking about... so I googled it. Is it different from the Shelby Cobra? That is a very serious swish car! I can understand why you are excited to get it back. I hope you post a picture with you inside!

Linda Laird said...

I have heard the roar of the engine. It has the same spirit as you. Can't wait to drive it. Mama

Gale said...

I think you should take pictures of the car to show it off a little, it sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Stephanie and I have been thinking about you--we were very happy to see the 'i feel great' headline and reports of your gettng better. Enjoy rebuilding the car, and we'll see you at AArts in a couple of weeks.

iheartchocolate said...

Dave,

You put things into perspective for me too, with a post like this. Stop living for tomorrow, be here, now. We are here, now. I don't know why I keep forgetting this.

Anonymous said...

Fred and Sandy

You are amazing. You go from eatng out, feeling bad, and now working on a sport car. I don't know that everybody would be as upbeat. Try to hold on to all those good things and stay well. And I would keep your Mom out of that car.

Joe said...

Dave,
I just discovered your blog. I too was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer, stage 3, that metastasized to both lymph nodes . I was diagnosed in May 2007 and finished treatment in July. I just returned to work last week.

It is great that you have a lot of friends and loved ones rooting for you. And your attitude is impressive!

I too created a blog to keep everybody informed and to give me an outlet: high21.blogspot.com

Feel free to contact me with any questions about my experience, which seems very similar to yours thus far.

Best of luck to you Dave.
Joe

WILLIAM said...

Cole,

I really think you should dress up as Racer X this year for halloweeen.

Will Can be CHim Chim

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave!!!
Yippee!!!! I'm SO excited to hear you are just about done with the car! What an awesome experience! I can only imagine how thrilled you must be to have it almost road ready! Definitely need to post a pic!
You are such a trooper! Your positive attitude, energy and strength are amazing! Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers!!!:0)

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Just caught up on all the BLOG posts and comments. Team Dave is beginning to resemble a certain cellular phone service commercial, you will never be alone

The positive attitude is awesome. Chris has been reading the BLOG, faster than me, and inspired one of her friends to read it. Her friend is a recent cancer survivor and can feel much of your pain and angst.

Even though we don't know it, everyday all of us meet cancer survivors, and there are more and more and more of them.

You too are going to join that fraternity, okay so you will want to join the soroity, but after the hazing too get in, you do whatever you want.

We will be there.

L:ove, Jim

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you tonight, Dave. I must say, when you start talking cars like that, I hear, "blah blah vroom vroom blah." ;)

But this part, I get: "By embracing the things you love, chemo and radiation are kept in proper perspective." By embracing the things (and people) we love, all things are kept in proper perspective. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

aNxIUN Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

UTwLdo Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

WvEoSX actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

9c9lRb Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Meet Kamski said...

Your website allows us to gain new knowledge that is easy to google understand and does not require the hassle of subscribing.

EDM said...

I like this song the most to listen to my music.