Sunday, October 7, 2007

Feed Me

"The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

~G.K. Chesterton


OK, since Friday my appetite has been back . . . which is really weird because my taste buds and salivary glands have been zapped pretty good with radiation. I can no longer taste a lot of foods, even favorites like cheese. My mouth is pretty cottony these days. Still, with this going on, I've been eating like a bastard all weekend.

Pizza, cheeseburgers, milkshakes, ice cream, canned peaches (I love these nowadays), filet mignon, WaWa hoagies, New England clam chowder, French toast, bacon, bagel sandwiches, and even sushi (which was delicious) have all made their way down my gullet this weekend. Let's just say I had no trouble making my 2700-calorie/day goal this weekend.

My energy level and spirits have been pretty good. I've experienced some nausea here and there and I definitely feel my gums and throat are getting more raw and burned. In another week or so, they'll be a barrier to eating that I'll have to overcome. For right now though, all the eating of this good food is helping to fight infection and keep me strong.

With my dry mouth and taste buds zapped, I think this is what life is going to be like for me for a good long while after my treatments, and honestly it's very liveable. I can't talk for long without my mouth getting too dry, which is great for everyone else around. Finally people will be able to get a word in edgewise. Seriously though, I think it will help me be more judicious with my words.

I've got two of seven weeks of radiation behind me, and one of three of my first chemo treatments. Slowly but steadily we're getting through the treatments, and before I know it my treatment experiences will be nothing but a memory.

Thank you all again for your loving words and support. It means so much to hear from old friends, co-workers, and general well-wishers. I know your words also help my family and loved ones know they're not alone. God bless you.

13 comments:

WILLIAM said...

What is the caloric intake of Maker's Mark?

Anonymous said...

This one made my night!!! Im so happy!!! I cant wait till this is all behind and you can come over to Jersey with my aunt and spend the day!! I must say you are a fighter and this is a battle that will be defeated. You continue to amaze me.. I pray for you everyday..

love you....
nikki

iheartchocolate said...

A memory, that is all it will be.

Anonymous said...

From Nancy

Hi Dave
Sounds as though you ate your way through the weekend !!! That's great. Glad you had such a good weekend. There will be alot more to come. Once the treatments get behind you, your life will get back on track. Keep up the GREAT work!! We're all behind you.
Love, Nancy

Meegs said...

Just wanted to offer my best wishes to you. Hope things continue to go smoothly!

Alyson said...

David,
Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you to overcome this "speedbump" that has been placed in you path.
Others have fought and won the battle and you can too.
I will check back often to find out your progress. And, look forward to the day you post you have beat this!
Remember with you faith and positive outlook, you can over-come anything.

Alyson

Yari said...

Yay! Sounds like you had a great weekend of food.

My prayers are with you!

Anonymous said...

So pleased you are eating and a bit better.
I would love to know about you if you are feeling up to it.
Are you involved in theatre/acting?
My heart lit up when you said (in an earlier post) you were going to see King Lear. I studied it in depth for A- levels.
I saw a fantastic performance in Stratford about 7 years ago with Nigel Hawthorne playing Lear. During the storm scene, they dropped big rocks from the top of the theatre. You should have seen all the asleep kids jump!
But I have to say, Sir Lawrence Olivier performance made me cry.
He was amazing.
Anyway...I'd love to hear about you.

Linda Laird said...

Thrilled to see your food list. Kinda like when you were a teen. Keep it up. lyg,Mama

Anonymous said...

David,

I'm glad you are eating well and you have energy. Keep up the good fight of faith. I'll be happy to bring you a "WaWa" hoagie anytime or anything you want - just say the word and I'll be there.

Love, Uncle Billy

Anonymous said...

Still pulling for you. I have a special prayer I say for you every day. Keep the spirit!!!!!
Uncle Wayne

El Grande said...

Glad to see you are back to your "old" eating ways. Now you know if you get antoher bad day there are much more good days ahead. Keep up the fury.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, it's Ellen O'Neill from work. You are an inspiration! It is humbling to read your posts..your faith and positive attitude are amazing.

And your weekend binge reminds me of the implementation we did in Houston a few years ago where I had to go out for a cheeseburger after a filet mignon dinner!

You will remain at the top of the prayer list for as long as it takes to get you better!