Friday, November 23, 2007

On the Upswing

"The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief."

~William Shakespeare, Othello

Yesterday was Thanksgiving and although I have had to postpone my full-on turkey feast for the time being, I have good news to report. I'm STARTING to feel a little better.

I've been sick a few times the last few days, but for a couple days before that I did not get sick at all. My energy level is still low, but I am getting more calories again (2k or so). In fact, I wanted to try to swallow some water for the first time in like 8 weeks yesterday, so I could feel good about progress. I was able to successfully swallow a sip of water. I threw up right after because of the mucous, but the water itself got down and the swallow mechanism itself till works!!!! Hopefully, my mucositis will begin to thin out some time and I'll be able to drink water and then move up to shakes and eventually food again. I know that when I can eat again, I'll heal like a beast.

I'm talking a little bit in spurts when my throat is ok. I'd say I get out a few sentences a few times a day. I'm trying to do more and more of it. Again, it's the damn mucositis that's slowing down things there.

I'm definitely feeling a better than I was last week and the week before. Hopefully a week from now, I'll feel even better and so on.

Hope you all had great Turkey Days. I'm looking forward to having a turkey dinner with my family when I can eat again. I'm dying for some of Shelly's mom's stuffing . . . it's really unbelievable. Then again, almost all food looks really good to me right now. I still turn my nose up at bean casserole though.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that you are starting to feel better. Many prayers are beginning to be answered.

When you feel like eating something a little on the fattening side, let me know.... I have connections. :)

Love and Prayers from all of us here.

Gale said...

You don't like bean cassrole? Mushroom soup and fried onions? Oh well, I am so thankful you are starting to feel better. I read your blog and shouted 'WOO HOO'. My husband thinks I have lost my mind. You take care and I will be stopping in.

Nancy Barber said...

WOW!! What a great way to start the day!! Reading your post sure put a smile on my face. Things are just going to continue to get better and better for you. It won't be long now until you're enjoying all the things you love so much.
Keep up the great work!!!!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy

El Grande said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
El Grande said...

That is certainly worth giving thanks. Glad to hear the good news. Keep up the progress, we are all pulling for you here.

WILLIAM said...

Definitley worth giving thanks about that.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dave a nice Thanksgiving Day treat.

Unknown said...

What great news! You sure do have something to be thankful about!

We were asked, in church, to write down a few things we are thankful for, one my husband wrote was 'just one more day'. Each day, no matter what the circumstance, is another day to be thankful for.

Glad to hear you are doing better! It makes it easier to look forward to the next day!

Anonymous said...

I love the quote. I'm thrilled for the good news, and will keep praying until it's not even news anymore, it's just your new life.

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Came across this prayer and wanted to send it to you.

A BUDDHIST PRAYER
MAY YOU BE SAFE AND PROTECTED FROM ALL HARM

MAY YOU BE PEACEFUL AND HAPPY

MAY YOU BE HEALTHY AND STRONG

MAY YOU BE AT EASE WITH ALL THE CONDITIONS OF YOUR LIFE
Look inside yourself. You have the strength to overcome this. You can do it. Love & Hugs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hey DC,
It is great to see that you are feeling better. It really give us all something to be thankful about this time of year. My hopes and prayers are with you daily my friend. Ally's too...
Keep fighting the good fight.

BEEDS

Yari said...

What great news Dave, so happy to hear this!

Don't worry you will be feeling good soon and you will be able to eat a fabulous Christmas feast.

Anonymous said...

David, this is the best news we've had in a long time. Of course we all knew you could fight and conquer the beast. Keep up the good work.

Prayers and best wishes from the sunshine state.

Fred and Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave, Just got back from Prague and I was anxious to check how you are progressing. I am pleased to know you are feeling like you are recovering some function and are on the up. (have you ever liked bean casserole?)
Good thoughts and prayers said especially for you and your team.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you every day. Stay strong brother!

-k

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you are doing better. I was thinking about you and glad that you are starting to bounce back to super Dave once again.

Anonymous said...

I am such a goof ball! It is me who left the comments up above.

Karen S at Pru

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave - - keep up the great job of getting better. Glad to hear that things have improved a bit...looking forward to seeing you back here in the office one day soon.....