Monday, December 10, 2007

Phase II Begins

"If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new."

- Voltaire, Candide

OK, so today I headed over to Doylestown to begin the first of three monthly chemo treatments of Cisplatin/5FU. I've done reasonably well with the Cisplatin, aside from the hearing loss. So, I am hoping I continue to tolerate it without too much trouble. The 5FU is less disastrous, according to everyone I've spoken with, then the Cisplatin. So, again, I am hopeful these treatments will not cause too much trouble or stall my recovery from radiation too badly.

It was a full day at the hospital, and I got the chance to use my new PICC line rather than getting IVs and blood test needles. It was pretty cool. The nurses warned of the risk of infection with PICC lines, particularly during the chemo cycle when my white blood counts drop sharply and I'm very susceptible to infection. We'll do our best to be sterile and careful, as well as prayerful, that we can avoid trouble. I really just need it for the next 60 days or so.

So far, so good with the chemo treatment. I usually don't feel much until the next day and things really kick in around day 4 or so.

The other news I have to report is on my MRI and visit with Dr. Bar Ad. First things first. Dr. Bar Ad is leaving Penn to head up a Radiation team with the Veterans Administration. This is noble work, and I appreciate her help. Considering my radiation phase of treatment is over, it's a good time for me to lose her.

She was pleased with my MRI results, noting 90%+ shrinkage in my neck mass. She believes the remaining 10% is necrotic tissue, which always occurs with large masses in the lymph nodes being zapped with radiation. There is always a chance of some viable cancer cells within that mass. She believes if they are not dead, the next 3 chemo treatments are likely to kill them. However, she also said the option for surgical removal exists. Especially considering the fact that I am lucky enough to have Dr. Greg Weinstein as my surgeon, we are seeking his opinion on surgery. At this point, I am not worried about short term discomfort the surgery may bring if it increases my odds for survival. That's my thinking. However, Dr. Weinstein could say it's not really necessary. I am eager to hear from him some time this week.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty good news so far.
I was checking to see how things went today and was surprised and delighted to see that you had a new post.
I can't remember if I told you that I am an acute haemodialysis nurse, so am working with neck lines daily. I also used to do stem cell harvesting in Oxford for patients in remission.
The PICC lines are wonderful. I am sure you will take great care with it. Respect the line...then get rid of it when you don't need it!
Hope the chemo treatment isn't too tough on you, kiddo. Cheers to you.

iheartchocolate said...

Thinking of you Dave. I am glad to hear your MRI results are good. Good luck with Dr. W, I am sure he'll direct you well.

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Just checking in on you. Didn't know if you would feel like putting a post up today and was happy to see one. Sounds as though everything is going along as it should be. Get these treatments behind you then you can put all of your energy into your recovery.
You ARE winning the battle!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy

El Grande said...

The MRI results are good news. It sounds like you are in good hands with the medical team, Good luck with Dr. W. Keep fighting!!

WILLIAM said...

90 % Shrinkage? Are we talking about Will here?

Great news Cole. Excellent news really. Keep the fight going.

Anonymous said...

David,

It sounds like our prayers are being answered and you are well on your way to 100% recovery. Keep the faith!

Love,
Uncle Billy

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts, prayers and heart.
Hope the treatments are not to hard on you.
Hang in there and remember everyone is praying for your fast recovery.
This will all be behind you soon.
You're a winner!!!!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

David,

John B. just told me a few days ago about what you have been going through. I have read through your blog entries from the first to the (I think) last. Wow, you have gone through a lot! It sounds like you have been blessed with very good outcomes since being diagnosed. I have added you to my prayer list (never hurts to keep the pressure up on the Big Guy). I look forward to your continued recovery. Keep your spirits high!