Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Blind Sided

I just got out of the hospital this afternoon. I got checked in after a blood test during my 4th chemo cycle here.

Before this chemo, I thought, "Hell, I'm been through three rounds aleady and simultaneous with radiation. It should be a piece of cake."

Well, a piece of cake? A piece of bitter, nasty cake covered with angry bees maybe. It certainly has not been easy to deal with.

The first three days were ok, but the weekend was rough. I was sick beginning Friday night pretty much all through to Monday. Without being gorey, I'll say the volume I pushed out of me was at times shocking to me. It would be funny, except it burned badly at times.

You see, I've entered a common phase for head/neck cancer patients where we develop sores inside our throat and mouth. My lips are shredded raw and bloody, too. So, I'm quite pathetic. Pity me. Boo hoo.

Aside from this discomfort, the major problem is vomiting.

The vomiting was so bad that I ended up with nothing to vomit, except bile . . which is basically pure acid. Youch.

So, Monday my blood work came back and they decided to get me fluids and check me in for some care. The visit was not a great time and I would have been better off getting the same attention from my mom. Nevertheless, Kristina came and actually bamboozled the hospital into letting her stay the night watching over me and interrupting for my nurses. My speech is particularly bad right now.


It's been hard, but I'm hoping I'm ready to start recovery now.

5 comments:

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
I'm so sorry that you're having such a rough time with the last round of treatments. Kind of had a feeling things were getting rough again when you didn't post. There's nothing I, or anyone else can say that will take away what you're going through. I know that you're going to come out of all this as the winner. Just know that there's alot of love and prayers being sent to you at all hours of the day and night.
Love & Hugs....Nancy

Anonymous said...

It hurts to know that you are having such a rough time now. Try to keep focused on the end result of being cancer free. Long term. We love you and continue on with you in our thoughts and prayers.

Yari said...

Dave,

As always your are in my thoughts and prayers. You will get through this!

Anonymous said...

Dave, I have lived a lot of years, and know that with God's help miracles happen. I have seen them first hand. You are on my prayer list, and we are praying for a miracle. I love you.

Ma Ma

WILLIAM said...

Dave,

We keep praying.

I look forward to being able to visit with you soon.