Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Can't Keep a Good Shaolin Monk Down


I'm battling back and getting and feeling better. One thing that helped was our traditional New Year's dinner. Every January 1, for as long as I can remember my family has done the same thing for dinner. You see, my father grew up in a predominantly Polish neighborhood and worked in a local meat place where they did kielbasa and everything. So, some customs must have rubbed off and blended with those of his German grandmother, because every New Year's we prepare a feast of kielbasa, sauer kraut, German roast pork and mashed potatoes. Inside the sauerkraut, we place a cleaned dime. Whoever finds this token when dishing out their portion is supposed to enjoy good luck and prosperity through the year. My mom skipped the dime this year, but I like to think I was a shoe-in to find it this year anyway.

I ate a few spoonfuls of heavily buttered mashed potatoes, two small slices of kielbasa, and a few bits of pork. Yes, solid food. Meat! It's just a matter of time, baby!

On another topic, my impending baldness. Seamus, in comments, mentioned an old plan friends and I had to get me a pimp hat. However, I am going a whole other direction. Instead of hiding my baldness with shame (and there's little more shameful clothing than a pimp hat), I'm going to display with proud Shaolin style!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are turning into part food blog...right up my alley!
So glad you are able to eat a few things now.
I don't know. I think that pimp hat is a statement of some kind. Your head is going to freeze in Philly.
Cool in a different kind of way.

El Grande said...

Dave,
I know your Kung-Fu is strong, and your Shaolin monk style will certainly prevail. Glad to hear about the new food additions, that is great news. Looking forward to a Happy New Year for you.

Yari said...

Happy New Year Dave!!

Bald men are so sexy! You will look hot.

Anonymous said...

Being somewhat of an expert on bald men, I must agree with Yari :)

Anonymous said...

Dave,
As always your posts are a host of good info , such as kielbasa being a Polish Christmas tradition, a discussion at my own New Years Day table.
Of course always the good cancer fight info. Perhaps a manual for others is in the the offing, but my first impulse "Cancer Fighting for Dummies" is probably wrong on so many levels, and even worse copyrighted.
It is great to hear you are finally eating meat again. In honor of this occasion when you first join us at Nick's Roast Beef, I will eat a whole container of jalapeno slices, and in a magnanimous gesture, I will not charge you a quarter.
Welcome to 2008! The Best Has Just Begun.

Nancy Barber said...

Way to go Dave!!!!! Solid food is a BIG step in the right direction. Like I said before, your food bill is going to be out of sight.
And as for the bald thing, I also have to agree with Yari in saying that I think it's very sexy.
Happy New Year!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy

M said...

As well you should.

I am so glad you have such a wonderful family with which to share such traditions.

You are still in my prayers Dave. So happy you could enjoy some real food.

Anonymous said...

David, on that bald thing you must of went to the same guy I did before this last one.
love Dad

Anonymous said...

Dave,
If you want you can have my hair. It's mostly gray, very long, and fine like a babies, but my wife really wants it to go away. I was going to give it to Locks of Love, but it's yours if you want it.
Jim
Of course I think bald is very sexy too.

WILLIAM said...

You know that I may now have to call you "Bald Dave".

Becasue that will crack me up everytime.