Thursday, February 7, 2008

Good Omen

Something touching happened to me this morning that really gives me faith in my fight.

From time to time, I receive a get well card with an encouraging message in the mail. Usually these cards are from my aunts, uncles, other family, or friends that don't see me regularly. And of course, I've received cards from caring co-workers at Prudential.

I really appreciate these cards, because people take time to let me know I'm in their thoughts and it helps me feel less alone. A lot like this blog and comments section. For a lot of people, they want to help me and just don't know how, and I think they send a card almost because they don't know what else to do. It's a good move, at least I appreciate it.

One friend of mine, who was almost like a 2nd mom to me growing up has sent me like 20 cards. She's a cancer survivor herself and is such a positive bright light. She posts comments here a lot, too. I really love and appreciate it.

Well, today the card came from a very unusual sender. The envelope's return address read Westview Missionary Baptist Church. It was postmarked Beckley, WV.

Beckley is the county seat of Raleigh County, West Virginia. A place where I spent a lot of time as a kid. You see, that's where my grandparents lived when I was growing up. Not in "urban" Beckley, but 40-minutez outside in the back country hills. Very rural, and poor but proud. It was also incredibly beautiful. The song Almost Heaven made sense. There was no town to speak of where they lived. Their road was gravel and wound through a hill and hollow. At the end of the gravel road, where it met a paved state highway was the small, wooden church where everyone went on Wednesday nights and Sundays, if not more. This was Westview Missionary Baptist Church.

Every summer I went to my grandparents place. They had a good amount of land, where a boy could shoot, hike, tend chickens and pigs, and meet kids whose lives where very different from his. My grandfather was a man's man bigger than John Wayne to me, and my grandmother was a very religious and made sure that I got to church while we were visiting.

So, I worshipped more than once in Westview Missionary Baptist Church as a kid. It was not the quiet, calm of the Presbyterian Church that I was raised in. The preacher here was fire-and-brimstone and the services very interactive, and filled with lively spirit. There was no hiding in that small church. If you didn't sing, you'd get called out on it. Questions were asked from the pulpit and you better be ready to answer.

The last time I was there was probably 1987, so I was very surprised to get a card from the church. My grandmother hasn't lived out that way for almost 20 years. Nevertheless, when I opened that card, I found it was signed by dozens of members of the congregation one Sunday morning. I'm in their thoughts, they'd tell me, and in their PRAYERS. Now that's the sort of Jesus power you have to love.

Cancer doesn't stand a chance when I've got people like that praying for me. And I'm very moved to be remembered and loved this way.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much love from so many people. Prayer Works. LL

Nancy Barber said...

Well Dave I just read this and of course started crying. You're so right. When people send you cards, it's one way of saying how much we love you and are thinking about you and praying for you. You really, really warmed my heart with your comment.
As for the card from W.V. that is really special to say the least. I remember the church. Doesn't get any better then that!!!!!
I hope this finds you eating as much as you can and getting stronger. One more round to go and the healing will take over. I know that you're going to recover from this very fast because I know you.
You really are an inspiration to everyone.
Love & Hugs...Nancy

Anonymous said...

I am thinking you must be a difficult person to forget!
I am always in awe of the power of love and fellowship. I think you are well cradled in both.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave -

I have been following your progress here for quite some time, having left Pru it is harder for me to get updates.

I am so proud of you and how well you have been progressing. I hope you get every single awful cell of that stuff eradicated.

I just wanted to tell you that I think and pray for you often. What a great attitude you have taken and fabulous support group.

Best.

Melissa Gaffney

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful expression of love they have given to you, almost as if a gift from heaven. (could be).

As we often do, I am in complete agreement with LL, Prayer does work. We will be fervently praying for you this week.

Wo Hoo!!! Your final week of treatment!

Love as always

Nancy Barber said...

Dave, good luck tomorrow with the start of your LAST round of chemo.
After this it's full speed ahead with the healing process. Knowing you, it will be fast.
Can't wait to see you at the car shows this year with the COBRA.
My thoughts, prayers and love are with you always.
Love & Hugs........Nancy

El Grande said...

It is nice to hear you have such a devout congregation praying for you, above and beyond the rest of team Dave! You said it best, that cancer doesn't stand a chance! Good luck with the last round of chemo, then let the healing begin.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say hello and send some good thoughts and wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

just dropping a line to say I'm thinking about you. Good luck with the last round of therapy before you make a complete and total recovery...thinking lots of good thoughts for you.

-k