Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Big Day

Hello, everyone!

My SLOW recovery tends to progress SLOWLY, but I am getting better. I have learned that this is the toughest time in the process for many survivors/patients mentally . . . because you've done all you can with the treatments and you're waiting for the all clear and for your body to shake off 6 months or so of physical abuse.

I've noticed my loved ones around me have been more impatient lately for me to get better. It's so easy for me to forget how this is not just my battle and struggle. Everyone else has so much at stake, and it's natural for them to want to see results too. It's also natural for them to go to the source of those results (me) and be selfish or impatient for me to get better. Of course, nobody wants me better, eating and living than me. Unlike everyone around me, I've been trapped here the whole time. I don't get breaks to visit friends or family, to have a nice meal to get away from it, etc. For me, this IS life. The point is, I understand everyone's love and wanting me to get better . . . but it's hard enough for me to be understanding, patient and calm with my body when I don't have outside negative pressure.

Everyday, I want to get up and be able to grab a bagel and cream cheese, a mocha latte and head to work where I see friends and feel productive. I want to meet up after work for drinks or dinner with friends and then head out to meet Kristina, where we go to a movie, etc. A lot of nights I have dreams about eating food, being at work, and getting my old life back. Then I wake up. It's hard as hell to fight the disappointment and depression, and that gets compounded when the people I love are obviously hurt/inconvenienced by my condition.

This is a part of the strength that is coming with the process though. I've got to be strong enough to fight through all of this, and not get down.

Tomorrow morning, I have my PET/CT scan at 11am ET. It's the test where they see if there's any cancer cells in my body. There are often false positives, meaning the test says you have cancer when you don't. There are almost no false negatives, so if the test comes back negative it's good news. If it comes back positve, I'm not going to fall apart.

In the mean time, I'm battling through the last stages of a little bout with the flu. Everyone around me has had it, just about. It's a little funny to me. Everyone talks about how awful it is, and how they "pray for death", etc. I suffered through it for a few days and thought, this is a piece of cake. Nausea, fatigue, congestion, a little vomiting? Welcome to my world. hehehe. I'm a survivor now, and the flu doesn't phase me.

19 comments:

LORELEI said...

The waiting is the most difficult time mentally and emotionally. Part of me wants to get to that appointment and part of me is afraid to get there. I will be praying for you Dave.

A special blessing for you before your "BIG DAY" tomorrow. Stay Strong!! Go to the attached link.
http://www.blessyoumovie.com/

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
You've been going through so much. I know you want to snap your fingers and have all this behind you. It's a long, hard road to recovery. No one is walking in your shoes but you. We can only be there next to you showing our love and support. I'm sure you're probably sick of hearing this but HANG IN THERE!!!!! You WILL have your life back.
Good luck with your tests tomorrow.
Just always remember that you are surrounded by love and prayers.
You're a winner Dave!!
Love & Hugs...Nancy XO

Anonymous said...

I've not experienced the other side of waiting ( the patient's side) but I understand what you are saying.
Waiting, waiting, waiting.
Good thoughts for tomorrow. Think negative for a change!

El Grande said...

The path of recovery begins (and continues) by steps. Keep it up, you'll get there man.

Good luck tomorrow!

We're all pulling for you.

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Hope the tests went well today. Was thinking about you and saying a special prayer.
Keep strong. You're going to get through this.
Love & Hugs.Nancy XO

Anonymous said...

David, I have read and re-read your most recent post and can sense the frustration and mental anguish that you are going through. I can assure you that your loved ones are not in the least being selfish in wanting you to be healed. It is the goal of many, many of us. We love you.

Hope that your tests went well, and produce the results we all have been praying for.

Hang in there Dave, the hardest part is over. Soon you will be enjoying the things that give you the most pleasure.

Continued Love and Prayers,
Aunt Betty

WILLIAM said...

The frustration and impatience in your loved ones is natural. Not really fair but natural. Since we can "get away" we sometimes forget that you are on a path to recovery that we hope to never tread.

And by forgetting we sometimes think that you will be better by the next time we see or talk or hear from you.

The change in your health from being well to being diagnosed with cancer to suffering is/was quick and drastic. We hope and pray that the recovery and going back to health is just as quick and drastic...but it takes longer.

We love you.

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you.
Hope things are getting better for you.
Everyone is here for you....ALWAYS remember that!
Love & Hugs.....Nancy XO

Anonymous said...

just checking in, hope you are feeling better.

-kev

Anonymous said...

Have you been able to direct the play you wrote about?... Is Bill causing you worry?...lol
Still thinking about you, guy!

Anonymous said...

David,
Thinking of you everyday. I have faith that our prayers will be answered, and I am not becoming impatient at all. This has got to be so frustrating for you but remember, anything worth while takes time. God knows what He's doing. There IS a "light at the end of this tunnel" like that song says. I believe that your healing is coming. I hope you are enjoying that CD and can find some sense of peace in it. Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Love,

Uncle Billy

Anonymous said...

Dave,just want to let you know we will be with you in thought tomorrow as you get the results of your recent tests. I have faith that you will get good news.

I also want to tell you what an inspiration you have been to all of us with the strength you have shown these past months. I am not sure many of us could have handled it with as much dignity as you. You make us proud :)

Sending good thoughts your way and love and prayers too.

Anonymous said...

Dave,
Just wanted you to know that we are all praying for a good outcome with your test results tomorrow.

Alyson

Nancy Barber said...

Prayers and good thoughts are with you today (and every day) as you get your test results.
We all love you and are with you.
Love & Hugs.....Nancy XO

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

I just got my copy of CAM, and was wondering what you were up to these days. Your website led me here.

I've only read the first and last posts so far, which I'll admit I was reading with a dry mouth and a pounding heart.

What can I say? You're in our thoughts and prayers. Things WILL get better.

Alan

Nancy Barber said...

Hang in there Dave !!!!!
Things are going to get better.
You'll be back doing all the things that make you happy.
You're in my thoughts-my heart and my prayers.........as always.
Love & Hugs............Nancy

Anonymous said...

:) :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Just thinking about you and wanted to check in and let you know that you are always in my prayers. We hope to see you soon !

Anonymous said...

Hello David

Congratulations. It appears that you are a survivor. I have been following your progress ever since my sister Nancy told me of your battle. Each morning after giving thanks for another day, I spend some time meditating. I have also been sending a Buddhist prayer your way wishing for your recovery.
You are a true warrior. As they say here on Maui "you done good"