Sunday, December 30, 2007

Backsliding

For some reason, I thought my recovery would be a straight diagonal line up until I was better. Unfortunately, it's a little more jagged. I've had a rough few days, with a lot of barfing and the inability to hold down anything . . . which reinforces the problem. I think I'm climbing out of it.

Sadly, it looks like I am losing my hair. The first three rounds of Cisplatin, I kept my hair and assumed I would keep it through these. Not so, I'm shedding it pretty good. It'll grow back, but it's a bummer. I had thought that I was going to be spared that indignity, but . . .

My most pressing problem is that my red and white blood counts are quite low. This makes me very prone to infection, but also brings about a sort of anemic fatigue that's no fun.

So, to sum up. Bad times lately. Wah Wah Wah. Poor me.

I know things'll get better and that I just need to keep my head up. Thanks for letting me vent.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the hair falling out. Cisplatin is usually pretty through in hair depletion. Bummer. Buy cool hats and look tough.
How many more chemo treatments do you have left to go? I am sure they will keep a very close eye on your blood work. The tiredness can be overwhelming.
Don't let anyone who is sick (especially with a cold) come near you... Which is usually sick nurses coming into work!
Vent. That's what we are here for.

Anonymous said...

Bust out the pimp hat my brother!

Anonymous said...

opps, typo... I mean 'thorough'.
I shouldn't try to type without my glasses on. Lord only knows how many bloopers I make!

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Sorry to hear about the setback.But that's just what it is. After the treatments are over, things will go in one direction........UP!!!I'm sure that doesn't really help you now though.
You just go ahead and vent anytime. It's good for you to do that.
Hang in there. Better days will be here soon!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the hair. As you mentioned, it will grow back. thicker than even.
I know this is a tough time for you but tomorrow is a New Year. This is the turning point, it's all down hill from here. May 2008 be filled with every blessing you deserve.
Take care of yourself and stay away from anyone who's sick.

Dave Cole said...

Thanks for the notes, all. I'm feeling a little better (and ever so slightly balder) today.

Melinda, I have two more chemo treatments to go. One in about a week and the last a month after that.

Anonymous said...

The new year has just slid in here. There was a spectacular firework display on the south bank in London that went on for 11 minutes. Ken Livingstone (Red Ken as he used to be called before becoming Mayor of London) has spent all the profits from the congestion charge on fireworks for sure!
A 2008 toast to you, Dave, and for a healthy outcome from all this treatment. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

With wishes for a healthy -- and hairy -- New Year :)

Nancy Barber said...

Hi Dave
Just wanted to wish you a New Year of good health and happy times.
Better days are on the way!!!!!
Hang in there!!
Love & Hugs, Nancy