Friday, January 25, 2008

Rolling Along

I continue to feel better and better. Rarely any sickness, maybe once every couple days and it's due to my cold-like symptoms more than any chemo nausea.

I'm hydrating ok and "feeding" well enough, although I lost another 5 pounds this week. That's not good. i'm down to 170, which is about as low as I want to go. Really, I way in at 190-195 pounds when I'm taking care of myself, so that's where I need to get to. I started at 217, yup 47 pounds ago. That weight was my highest ever and the product of indulging in snacks while I could before radiation, etc. It's getting time to get my symptoms out of the way, so I can eat and ensure my way back to 195. Then I can get my stomach tube removed!!!!!! That will be a graduation.

I'm not as tired as I have been, but my white blood counts are real low right now, making infection very easy. So, I'm not shaking hands, kissing, or doing any real public time. I'm a shut in, but that's basically what's been going on for 6 months now. It's been tough, but I can taste a return to normal life.

My dad's been up this week, and it's been nice seeing him. He's heading home soon, but I appreciate his visits, as much to offer my mom some company as the comfort he gives me. Kristina has been her usual angel self. She has tirelessly been there for me throughout this entire ordeal, and it's incredible how she's helped me. Shelly's visits have also been very helpful. All my other friends want to come and are waiting for my ok. I figure as soon as my white counts are back up, I'll be ready for visitors.

6 comments:

WILLIAM said...

I hope the white counts come up soon.

Nancy Barber said...

Dave, sounds as though things are really going in the right direction.
It won't be long now!!
Soon you'll be out flying up and down the highway in your cobra. There's going to be no stopping you!! Full speed ahead!!
Love & Hugs.....Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dave, you make it easy to take care of you--your good heart and your faith have kept me going, too.

KCE

Anonymous said...

Not too long now,Dave. Soon you will be doing many normal things again and this will be all in the past.Quite right.
Still beaming good wishes and thoughts over the ocean to you and Kristina and family.

El Grande said...

Keep those white counts climbing, glad to hear that you are feeling better. Keep it up!!

BTW - Hawaiian tradition is to place a lai in the ocean on the outgoing tide to help someone heal. Yari and I did that this past week, for you (every little bit has to help, right?).

Yari said...

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better Dave.

Yes, Brian and I got all Hawaiian and performed a traditional lei ceremony. It was pretty cool to do and it really meant a lot to both of us in hopes that it would speed up your recovery.

I have to admit I was a little scared a great white was going to snag my arm while holding the lei and take me out to sea. Luckily I made it back in one piece.

Aloha!